Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Surveillance on the Gaming Community






For the final I will be submitting a paper on surveillance on the gaming community. On the news everywhere I have been reading and watching the Edward Snowden leaks. This issue is interesting to me and it helps me analyze how I play new and online games in the future. It is a topic that I believe the gaming community should be talking about. I know most gamers have their favorite games were they really do not care. I believe that we should be conscious of what companies invade player’s privacy. I give an example that happened a couple months ago with the release of X-box One, and how they had strict requirements to play their system. I also talk about how the newest revelation by Snowden, that WOW (World of Warcraft) and Second life are also being monitored by the government agencies. This is not the biggest issue I have with the surveillance of games. The thing that worries me the most is with companies spying on gamers for profit gain. There should be better regulations against these types of activities, so players feel more at ease when playing and interacting with other players on these types of games. I believe there is really one solution to this issue and it has been visible with the backlash against Microsoft.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment